Thursday 7 June 2007

Ask.com - New Look

I noticed earlier today that Ask.com has undergone a new look.

Well, I say new. This "look" has been available for quite some time under an alternative URL (filed under askx.com, with the project name Ask 3D).

After the recent "the other search engine" campaign I was curious as to where Ask were going next. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the answer. The new look is nice, and a modern step forward (in the right direction) from the old "Ask Jeeves" days (oh how I miss him). But the main thing I look for when using a search engine is to have results relative to the search query entered.

Within 5 minutes of experimentation I found links to sites that barely resembled what I was looking for, along with descriptions of pages which expired in January. Nice.

Ask has a strong competition. Not only from everyones favourite rival Google, but Microsoft and Yahoo too. Compared to these big boys, Ask lags way behind (in my opinion). There are some nice touches, and the apple inspired design is refreshing. However, this looks like a search engine I won't be using anytime soon...


No comments: